Friday 10 June 2011

Slaver

- They hurt you again?
- Yes. But it's nothing compared to how they treat the people in the hulls.
- People?
- What? do you think they're not people? 
- No, no, I...never thought of it, to be honest. Yes, I suppose they're people.
- You suppose? You've been around these bastards who call them animals for too long, young man. They're the real animals, those bastards. Why are you not with them anyway?
- My mother made me take a pledge never to drink when I was a child. I had to swear on the Bible, in front of our priest. She didn't want me to become like my father. He used to beat her up, like they do to you.
- And you never drank? Ever?
- Never touched it. I always stick to my word, lady.
- Stop calling me like that. What are you doing on this slaver anyway?
- I'm going to look for my own true love.
- Where does she live?
- I don't know. I just know that she's there, somewhere. I've been saving my love for her.
- Are you telling me that not only you've never touched liquor, but you've never touched a woman?
- Oh no, I've touched plenty of women. But my love, I'm saving for her.
- You're an odd one. You don't make much sense to me. 
- And you, what are you doing on this boat?
- Apart from the obvious? Well, something happened where I come from. Something bad. I don't want to talk about it. It's behind me now. The only thing I can say is that an ocean is not enough to drown some memories. 
- I don't like it when they hurt you.
- Well I don't like it either. As long as they don't hang me off the boat to attract the sharks. It's a long journey though, they might still do it.
- I won't let it happen, I'll protect you, lady.
- How many times do I have to tell you? I am not a lady. I'm the next best thing.
- You look like one to me.

Hélène L.

*  *  *


No comments: